How to perform Skanda Sasti Puja at home
Here is a simple method to perform Skanda Sasti Puja at home. You can do this Puja on all six days of the Skanda Sasti Vratam or on the Soorasamharam day.
Before beginning any puja try to create a calm and pleasant atmosphere. Try to keep all the puja items near you.
Puja Items Needed
- Small murti (idol) or picture of Ganesha
- A vel or picture of Lord Subrahmanya
- Sandal Paste, water, turmeric, kumkum, flowers and usual puja items
After bath, clean the puja area.
First pray to Lord Ganesha for removing all obstacles.
Now the main puja begins.
- First meditate on Lord Muruga – You can do this silently or by chanting Om Valli Devasena samedha Sri Subrahmanya Swāmine namaha dhyāyāmii
- Now invoke Lord Muruga – Take the idol or picture or Vel and keep it near you or hold it in your hands. You can silently pray to Muruga or chant Om Vali devasena… swāmine namaha āvāhayāmii
- Now you can place the idol in the appropriate place chosen by you in the puja area – you can chant – Om āsanam samarpayāmii
- Now you can sprinkle some water – Om…namaha arghyam
- Now you can pour some water on the feet or near the Vel – Om… namaha pādhyam
- Sprinkle some water again – Om... namaha āchamaniyam
- Now you can sprinkle rose water or usual water – Om… oupachārika snānam
- Sprinkle some water again as final purification – Om...snānānandharam āchamaniyam
- Now you can offer turmeric paste or if you have special dress for idol you can offer it –Om... vastrārtham akshadām
- Now you can offer sandal paste to the Vel or idol – Om gandhān dhārayāmi
- Now you can do decorations with flowers or garlands – Om...gandhsyopari alankāranārtham akshadām
|Home puja to Lord Murugan
- Now you can offer kum kum – Om...haridrā kumkumam
- Finally, you can offer some flowers – Om...pushpaih poojayāmi
Now you can light the lamp and chant Skanda Sasti Kavacham, Subrahmanya Bhujangam or read Skanda Purana or any text related to Lord Muruga.
You can also perform archana after lighting the lamp or your usual method of daily puja with camphor and agarbathis.
If you have prepared any food (navediyam) you can offer it to the lord and perform Arathi.
At the end of the puja you can thank Lord Ganesha for helping in successfully conducting the pooja.
Source: Hindu Blog
For more pictures of Kanda Sasti, go to Kanda Sasti 2011 picture gallery.